Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Disaster Strikes

So when Brian got his schedule for the month and I found out that he would be going on alert on Father's Day, I was bummed.  I love holidays and even though he doesn't consider Father's Day a very big deal, I do and was looking forward to spending the day together as a family. Turns out that Brian being at work on this particular Father's Day was actually a present in itself.
The morning couldn't have gone better for me. The girls were sleeping wonderfully. In fact, Kait slept straight from 8-5:30, ate, and fell back asleep. I got to leisurely wake up at 7:45, shower, get ready for the day and talk on the phone all before the girls had even started to wake up. I was having the best morning! In fact, I was on the phone with my friend, Liz, telling her just how great my day was already. Pretty much bragging about all the sleep I had gotten. Then around 8:30, both girls start to wake up so I stay on the phone while I get Nuggs out of her crib. Then take the baby and the phone with me to Mack's room. This is when disaster strikes! I open the door, turn on the light, and there it is: my half-naked child, pants and diaper off, and the very distinct smell of poop. As my eyes start to focus in on the scene, I realize the gravity of this situation. There is poops everywhere I am looking! On her face, her legs, her hands, her Bun-Buns, her sheets, the crib railings! Everywhere but...the diaper! Of course! I don't even know what to do. I'm still in the doorway, holding the baby, listening to my friend saying something that I wasn't even listening to anymore, and the first reaction I could manage was to laugh. Yes, I started laughing at the sight of a poop-covered baby. I quickly tell Liz that I have to go because my child has covered her crib in poop and have to figure out some way to deal with it, then I put Nuggs down on the play-mat, still unsure of what needs to happen next. The first thing I try is baby wipes on her face and hands. This pretty much gets me nowhere. Then I decide that what I actually need to do first is empty her crib so that the poop doesn't get on any more of her things. After I have accomplished that I resort back to the baby wipes. Again, nothing. This stuff is staying put! So after some more laughing, and some more of Mack looking at me like, "What, Mom? I don't see what the problem is." I decide that the only way to effectively clean her is to stick her in the shower.  She hates showers! But I manage to carry her (a very long arm-length's away) to the shower and stick her in there. She screamed the whole time I scrubbed off the poo, but by that point it was starting to be a little less funny, especially since I could hear Kait crying, so I scrubbed away at her until every last bit of poop was washed away. It was quite the dramatic experience for all of us. But, like I said, at least Brian didn't have to clean up poop on Father's Day. I do believe it was the best present I could have gotten for him. 

2 comments:

  1. Sandy, this was hilarious! I laughed and laughed. I am so sorry this happened to you. I'm sure it was not fun to clean up at all. My only hope is that amidst all my laughing, God doesn't decide to punish me and I wake up and Emma has done the same thing! What a crazy day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope he really appreciates this special present. Too bad for you though!

    ReplyDelete